Thursday, January 22, 2009

Progress Report

Christmas card Fairbanks

It is hard to believe I have only been here three days and have rented a cabin, acquired boots and snow pants, and signed up as a volunteer for food drops and road crossings for the Yukon Quest (which begins in Whitehorse on February 14th).  That may not sound like so much except that just leaving the house in the morning is a challenge  -- with the unplugging of the car, scraping the windows, warming it up, etc.  I know some of you will be familiar with all this, but my friends in Florida may not be.  On the other hand, it took me three days to find a place to buy a bottle of wine.



The beauty of the drive to the cabin is impossible to capture in a photo.  Driving back last evening (at 3:15 pm) the sun was setting, the sky was arctic pink, the trees heavy with snow, and a musher crossed the road with his team about 500 ft. in front of me.  It was magical!  On the other hand, driving and walking require intense attention as under the benign-looking snow there is ice -- on the road and on the sidewalks.  The rental car I have for a week is two-wheel drive and small.  The first day I felt it was an accomplishment to drive it from Budget back to the B&B where I parked it, plugged it in, and walked back to town.  Yesterday I had more confidence.

 


Another picture from last year in Bettles. 
It still doesn't capture the "arctic pink".


The cabin

The cabin is two miles down Willow Run,  a snow packed road off Goldstream (a major road outside Fairbanks).  It has oil heat and electricity (and no, CLF, the outhouse is not heated).  There is one main area combining living, dining, and kitchen, a separate bedroom, and a small loft.  There are tall windows and even the bedroom has a window.  The woods you see in the picture surround the entire area so neither the road nor other cabins are visible.  It is situated almost at the end of Willow Run so it does feel remote.  On the other hand, there are 8 other cabins near by so assistance is available if needed.  It is about a 20 minute drive to the University and maybe 10 minutes to Fox -- where I will get my water and take my trash.  The general store with showers is about 4 miles away.  I have yet to work out internet connectivity but my phone seems to work fine out there.  Today I have to see about a more long-term solution for a car -- I am hoping I can work out a 4-wheel drive.  I think driving is the biggest challenge.

 

The Ah, Rose Marie Bed and Breakfast.  Where it all started...

I will be here through Sunday -- moving to the cabin Monday morning.  More later about mushing.


4 comments:

  1. Just beautiful.

    http://blurryaroundtheedges.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful photos Jackie. I hope it was good wine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cabin looks very cozy
    and your photos are beautiful
    Tell us about the people, dogs and wildlife and keep posting your wonderful photos.
    Enjoy all of your 'cool' adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am most curious about the chair outside... How long can one sit outside without getting frostbite?

    Seems really exciting. :) Glad things are working out so well, and that you found wine!

    ReplyDelete