Sunday, January 25, 2009

Moving to the cabin


This is Willow Run Road.  It is two miles from beginning to end of hard-packed snow.  It is actually easier to drive than the main roads which always seem to be very slippery.  BTW I passed a moose on the side of the main road on my way out today.


A closer view into the woods



Welcome to a dream realized -- a cabin in the north woods



The kitchen



Living area



View from window over the small sofa.  Notice the tray of bird seed that Chris filled before I came out this afternoon.  There is also a suet container in the tree on the path to the sauna.  I am looking forward to the wildlife.  There are lots of ravens.  I have just picked up the book Make Prayers to the Raven:  A Koyukon view of the Northern Forest by Richard K. Nelson.  It will be the first book I read out here.  I also bought a raven stuffed animal at the Visitors Center (it is quite small). 

I have leased a Subaru Legacy for three months and am hoping this will make driving somewhat less scary.  I will move out there tomorrow morning but I still have some shopping to do -- food staples and a radio/iPod docking station.  Everything else is in place.

Regarding mushing, I had a wonderful phone conversation with Mary Shields this week.  She is the first woman to have finished the Iditarod.  She had some good advice and suggestions and invited me to come out and visit her the first or second week of February.  I am very much looking forward to the visit and meeting her and her huskies.  

This completes my first week in Fairbanks -- it sometimes seems a lifetime and sometimes just a flash.  It is very different from Florida.  The sign on the Express Lane at a local big box store reads "Around 12 items". 







1 comment:

  1. The window behind the couch looks like a painting! Everything looks so beautiful. I'm sure you're really enjoying it and looking forward to meeting with Mary Shields. Still though, "Around 12 items" is the best part!

    ReplyDelete