Friday, January 30, 2009

At home in the Goldstream Valley

Shortly after sunrise (about 11:00am) near the airport


Moose on Willow Run Road
 (photo is blurred as I was afraid to drive any closer)



Bird on window tray
(If you think I didn't know birds in Antarctica...)


A symbol of coming spring on kitchen table


The thermometer on January 27th


The cabin at night in a light snowfall


View from living area window the next day


Close up...


The Alaska range at twilight viewed from the university

I am getting settled -- have now learned how to get water at the spring in Fox, where to drive my trash, where the best laundromat/shower is located (near the university), and I have obtained a library card.  Perhaps, most importantly, I found two places with free access to the internet (and one has really good food).  

The beauty of the place constantly overwhelms me  -- whether it is snowing, sunny, icy, or even overcast.   ...and the people...  There is a sign in the book store that reads Shoplifting is bad karma!  The only downside is driving.  A taxi driver characterized driving in Fairbanks as ... 6 months of controlled slide.  It can be truly unnerving.  

Next week I plan to focus on mushing.  It is hard to believe I have not yet been here two full weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jackie,
    This is your cousin Barbara writing you from Portland Oregon. What a dream to be able to do this! I love looking at your photos. Maybe one day I will get to Alaska to visit or perhaps you to Portland. Take care!
    Barbara Stindt Walden

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara,

    How nice to hear from you and I am glad you are enjoying the photos. Yes, by all means I would be delighted to see you again.
    Thanks for writing.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete