Monday, January 12, 2009

Cold Snap in Alaskan Interior



Although I wasn't planning to post again until I had arrived in Fairbanks, I feel the need to comment on the weather.  Reading the newspaper articles from Anchorage and Fairbanks and the reports on weather websites has led me to question my sanity.  According to the National Weather Service ... the average temperature of -38.6 degrees at the Fairbanks International Airport is near 30 degrees below average... for the month of January.   Temperatures as low as -60 degrees have been reported on the Yukon at Eagle and elsewhere.  (Eagle is a checkpoint on the Yukon Quest sled dog race.)  Ice fog has also been prevalent around inhabited areas.  All I can say is that I hope it warms up -- at least a little.

These photos were taken in December of 2007 above the Arctic Circle on a frozen lake outside of Bettles, Alaska.  This year on January 3rd the high in Bettles was -49 and the low -51.  I have no idea whether there was a wind chill factor.




The experience of dog mushing on this lake was a major factor influencing my career change decision.





... and this was the tiny cabin where, like whales, I didn't see the Northern Lights.




My flight to Anchorage leaves on Sunday the 18th -- so this is really happening.  

More later.....

3 comments:

  1. I've been in Kotzebue a week, so I can tell you as an old hand at Alaskan weather ;) that 30 F below is actually bearable as long as you have enough clothes and don't have to be outside for more than a half hour. It's a cliche, but it does make a difference that it's a dry cold.
    The thing I do notice that the dawns and dusks are hours long - beautiful blues and purples in the sky. Enjoy!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking about you, Judy -- may the northern lights burn bright over Kotzebue!
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn global warming!! Oh, wait...

    ReplyDelete