Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Moose alert

The weather this "spring" was beginning to wear on me as the wind has been brutal -- and I have had problems shaking this cough.  When I woke up this morning I thought of how nice it would be to be able to lie on a beach in the sun.  In any case, I got up and put on clothes to head for the outhouse in what has now become an automatic set of actions.  As I opened the door, I was confronted by THIS...


Yes, a female moose lying directly in front of my door (you can see the shadow of the door frame on the right side of the photo).


The moose was between the front door and the outhouse (which you can see in the back).



Needless to say, I wasn't going anywhere...


... but I did forget all about the beach. 


She got up when Ann's dogs approached barking frantically.


First, she wandered over toward my little greenhouse 
(which is obviously not operational now)


Then she took off after the dogs.  Moose can sprint at 35 mph and can trot at 20.  
You wouldn't want to try to outrun one.


Here she is nibbling at the willows.  
They are herbivores and eat grasses and twigs 
(mostly twigs in the winter).


How cool is this?

It does seem that every time my enthusiasm for the great white north even hints of waning, something absolutely magical happens -- like the moose, or the northern light show on night of March 13th.  Amazing!

4 comments:

  1. She looks like she owns your front yard.
    She also looks very healthy and content. Beautiful, peaceful photos and a wonderful experience for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it Jackie! I am so thrilled that you are enjoying it. I did have a huge laugh when you referenced a Disney movie- you've gone soft! The dogs are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That is incredible. And the symbolism... "YOU are NOT going ANYWHERE!"

    ReplyDelete